CHICAGO (CBS) — Mayor Lori Lightfoot is introducing a bevy of proposals geared towards serving to Chicago eating places and different companies as they search to get better from the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to new protections for customers and staff.
The bundle of ordinances the mayor dubbed the Chi Biz Sturdy Initiative consists of proposals for slicing down on crimson tape for numerous permits and licenses, a 15% cap on third-party supply charges charged by providers like GrubHub, $10 million in grants for companies harm by the pandemic, and permitting retailers to promote on sidewalks utilizing A-frame indicators.
The mayor’s proposal additionally would arrange a cost plan for companies which have metropolis debt to make it simpler for them to resume their licenses.
“With a view to get better from this pandemic rapidly and holistically, we should take daring motion and reimagine how we do enterprise right here in Chicago,” Lightfoot stated in an announcement. “During the last fourteen months, we have now discovered a lot—together with that the way in which we sometimes do enterprise doesn’t work for all entrepreneurs and staff. Now’s our alternative to handle the structural inequities which have held us again for thus lengthy and create a post-pandemic world that absolutely helps small companies throughout town, protects staff, and above all, roots fairness and inclusion inside our metropolis’s financial system. Because of this bundle, we can do exactly that and set our residents, communities, and companies up for long-term success.”
The mayor will introduce her proposals to the Metropolis Council on Wednesday.
The plan additionally would expedite licenses for eating places that open in vacant areas as soon as occupied by shuttered eating places.
Cocktails to go additionally would develop into completely authorized for eating places and bars. Nevertheless, the mayor can be proposing a everlasting 10 p.m. curfew on alcohol gross sales at liquor shops, grocery shops, and comfort shops.
MORE NEWS: 22 Chicago Beaches Reopen This Friday
In accordance with the mayor’s workplace, the bundle consists of:
- Licensee Reduction Program: Over $10 million in focused grants for companies harm by the pandemic.
- Cap on Third-Get together Supply Charges: A 15% cap on charges that third-party supply corporations can cost eating places will likely be prolonged till after 180 days in spite of everything COVID restrictions have been lifted.
- Debt Reduction Program: Companies with metropolis debt will be capable of enter into a reduced cost plan with a view to renew their licenses and proceed working.
- Expedited Restaurant Licensing: New eating places in beforehand closed restaurant areas will profit from an expedited license issuance course of, serving to fill empty restaurant areas and enabling new eating places to open 2-3 weeks sooner.
- Legalization of Sidewalk Indicators: Retail companies will be capable of use A-Body indicators and promote their enterprise from the sidewalk.
- Expedited Allow Course of: Shaving as much as two months off the 150-day await companies to get permits for indicators, awnings, and different vital enterprise infrastructure.
- Taxicab Reforms: Permitting customary taxicabs to remain on the roads for 10 years, up from the present 7-year restrict; and fuel-efficient taxis to remain on the roads for 15 years, up from 10, in an effort to develop the pool of eligible taxicabs by 20% and save the business as much as $20 million in prices in 2021 alone.
- Expanded Workforce Alternatives: Reducing boundaries for non-violent ex-offenders to work within the public automobile and hospitality industries.
- Client Safety: The mayor’s workplace says it can search to handle public security and nuisance points by setting a everlasting 10 p.m. curfew on alcohol gross sales at liquor shops, grocery shops, and comfort shops, and prohibiting the sale of flavored tobacco.
- Wage Theft Protections: An ordinance to guard in opposition to wage theft, and assist staff get better an estimated $400 million in wages are stolen “by bad-faith employers yearly.”
- Chain Enterprise Employee Assist: Guarantee a good minimal wage for chain enterprise staff by stopping employers inside a single unitary enterprise group from undercounting their staff.
- Home Employee Assist: Requiring anybody who hires “home staff” to enter a written contract to pay them no less than $15 an hour.
- Paid Sick Depart Enhancements: Overhauling town’s paid sick go away ordinance, to incorporate “caring for a member of the family with a closed place of care, classroom, or faculty.”