Politics

New UN report warns millions of children to suffer from malnutrition in Yemen

A U.N. report released over the weekend detailing how 400,000 children under the age of 5 could starve to death in Yemen in 2021 amid the country’s ongoing civil war and fight against COVID-19.
 
The document said that 2.3 million children under the age of 5 would suffer from acute malnutrition unless widespread international aid can be distributed.
 
“For children suffering severe acute malnutrition in Yemen, a course of treatment costing just $200 over three weeks could mean the difference between life and death,” UNICEF spokesperson Joe English told Fox News.

BIDEN ADMINISTRATION PUTS A FREEZE ON TRUMP-ERA ARM SALES OVERSEAS
 
According to U.N. officials, the cost of a comprehensive care package for a child in Yemen is estimated to be $72 per year, or 20 cents per day. 
 
In recent days, the price of bread has spiked by 30% due to fuel shortages. The bakeries have swapped diesel and gas for firewood as they struggle to keep up with demand, according to reports.
 
Heavy clashes started this month in the Western Yemeni city of Marib. The Houthis have declared their intent to take control of the strategic town, however, they face tough resistance by the government forces. 

Ethar Omar Abdo Alshahar, a 4-month-old malnourished girl at the 22 May hospital in Sana'a in Yemen on 5 February 2020. (Courtesy: UNICEF)

Ethar Omar Abdo Alshahar, a 4-month-old malnourished girl at the 22 May hospital in Sana’a in Yemen on 5 February 2020. (Courtesy: UNICEF)

 In the past week, dozens have been killed, and hundreds have been wounded. Marib is the last stronghold of the internationally- recognized government forces, and hundreds of thousands of civilians have taken refuge there. 

US EXPLORING NEW BASES IN SAUDI ARABIA AMID IRAN TENSIONS
 
The U.S. state department called the Houthis to halt the fighting and end all military actions, which will allow a renewal of the diplomatic efforts. 
 
“The Houthis’ assault on Marib is the action of a group not committed to peace or to ending the war afflicting the people of Yemen,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.
 
Last week, the Biden administration removed the Houthis from its list of terror organizations, removing a designation put forth by the Trump administration that made it difficult for aid organizations to deliver supplies to rebel-held areas in Yemen.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP 
 
On Thursday, the U.N. Security Council held a session regarding the deteriorating humanitarian crisis in Yemen and the diplomatic efforts’ prospects.

—–

Trey Yingst currently serves as a Jerusalem-based general assignment reporter for Fox News Channel. He joined the network in August 2018.

Yonat Friling is a senior field producer for Fox News’ Middle East bureau. Follow her on Twitter @FoxYonat 
 


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker