NEW YORK — After getting the hits that led to 2 runs within the Rays’ 3-1 win over the Yankees Monday, Kevin Kiermaier was requested in regards to the quiet stretch he’d been going via offensively, with simply two hits in his earlier 26 at-bats.
“That’s placing that very politely, thanks,” Kiermaier mentioned. “Hitting has been the toughest factor I’ve ever needed to work on in my life. You simply sit right here and attempt to make these proper changes within the cage. Day in, day trip, I’ve been working my butt off in there simply looking for a consolation degree.
“I used to be actually proud of my work (Monday). I used to be proud of my first at-bat, second at-bat. Little issues like that basically construct confidence for me going ahead the place I’m not pondering a lot about my setup or what I’m making an attempt to do up there. This sport will drive you loopy, we enable that at instances. However I’m making an attempt to be higher, making an attempt to contribute extra.”
Although Kiermaier is hitting simply .213 with a .551 OPS and has been sidelined twice by accidents, he supplies premium protection in centerfield and management within the clubhouse. And, he mentioned, serving to the Rays to what’s now a majors-best 35-20 file is what’s most vital to him.
“I’ve by no means cared about stats or something like that, and I promise you that’s the best way I used to be courting again to Double-A,” he mentioned. “It’s not about me, it’s not about any particular person. There’s some powerful instances once you wrestle, don’t get me mistaken. However I all the time attempt to maintain a optimistic angle. And if we’re successful, I may care much less, to be trustworthy. Belief me, I wish to contribute as a lot as I can. However I by no means wish to be that egocentric man or dwell on my struggles.”
Numbers of the day
Rays file and successful proportion for Could, marking the second-best for any month in franchise historical past (21-5, .808, in July 2013), and best-ever Could.
The Rays have:
• Gained 5 straight video games, 16 of their final 17, 22 of 27 and 30 of 42
• Gained 9 straight video games over AL East division opponents, the longest such run in franchise historical past
• Gained 9 straight street video games, the longest such streak within the majors this season and matching their franchise greatest, and are 13-2 of their final 15 and a majors-best 20-7 general
• Gained 9 of their final 10 video games at Yankee Stadium and 20 of 27 towards the Yankees general, together with the five-game 2020 American League Division Collection
• Not trailed of their final 5 video games, main after 37 of 46 innings
• Outscored opponents 119-54 (plus 65) over the 16-1 run
• That is the primary time the Rays have the very best file within the majors previous the 50-game mark of a season since Sept. 28, 2010.
• The lower on his proper center finger healed, right-hander Luis Patino was despatched to Triple-A Durham to get common responsibility and work in between his outings as a starter.
• Reliever Chaz Roe, who made one April 2 look earlier than being sidelined by a shoulder pressure, on Tuesday will start a rehab project of as much as 30 days with Durham.
• Outfielder/DH Austin Meadows hit his third homer in his final 4 video games and his team-high-matching twelfth general and has reached base in 11 of his final 16 plate appearances. He completed Could with 28 RBIs.
• • •
Sign up for the Rays Report weekly newsletter to get recent views on the Tampa Bay Rays and the remainder of the majors from sports activities columnist John Romano.