Maintaining good hand hygiene not only ensures your protection but also helps prevent the spread of infections to others around you. Here are some expert tips to keep your hands clean and healthy.
World Hand Hygiene Day 2021: Tips to keep your hands clean and healthy | Representational image
World Hand Hygiene Day 2021: “Wash your hands”, “sanitize your hands”, and “maintain social distance” are the most commonly heard pieces of advice today. The past year has put hygiene in the spotlight like never before and brought the focus back on the importance of handwashing and hand hygiene.
Hygiene and safety have become topics of discussion and worry at the same time. The situation has also called for a change in habits and increased cleanliness. While most of us resort to handwashing in the traditional soap-and-water method to protect ourselves against contracting germs, sanitizing our hands regularly when we cannot wash them is important too.
“To limit our risk of contracting germs, it is important to regularly wash and sanitize our hands. This not only helps kill germs but also stop the spread of any potential infection. Therefore, practising good hand hygiene is a priority for maintaining overall health and wellness,” says Dr Sushrutha C K, Ayurveda Expert, Research & Development, The Himalaya Drug Company.
World Hand Hygiene Day 2021: When to wash hands?
We come in contact with innumerable surfaces every day. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly after using the restroom, before eating or touching your face with your hands, and before wearing your mask.
Here are some expert tips to keep your hands clean and healthy:
- Avoid using hot water, as it can dry out your skin. Instead, wash your hands with lukewarm water. Make sure to clean between fingers, the back of your hands, wrists, and under the nails, which is a likely breeding ground for germs
- For pure and safe hands, use a liquid hand wash and preferably one with the goodness of natural ingredients like Tulsi, Aloe Vera, and Lemon, as they have antimicrobial properties that help get rid of germs and keep skin nourished
- Rinse your hands well and make sure there is no trace of soap left, as this can lead to skin irritation
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or fresh tissues to prevent exposing your clean hands to any kind of germs in used towels and tissues
- It is best to carry a sanitizer for on-the-go hand hygiene, especially when you are traveling. Using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with natural ingredients like Coriander, Ushira, Nutgrass, Neem, and Spiked Ginger Lily can be helpful. These herbs are well known for their anti-microbial properties
- Have hand wipes handy to keep your hands clean and dirt free. Carry a pack of hand wipes while commuting, dining outside, and use it for cleaning the food remains from the corner of your nails, fingers, and hands. Look for one infused with the goodness of herbs like Aloe Vera, Tulsi, and Lemon. Tulsi is known to possess excellent antimicrobial and skin-detoxifying properties
One of the most powerful ways to stop the spread of infections is following simple hand hygiene practices. Maintaining good hand hygiene not only ensures your protection but also helps prevent the spread of infections to others around you. It is the need of the hour to make hand hygiene a priority to live a healthy and happy life.
Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.